Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Xincom XC-DPG502: a bad choice for dual WAN at home

When we moved, we still had a commitment on a DSL contract, yet getting the DSL installed at our new place took forever. So I walked to CompUSA, bought a cable modem, and was up and running two days later. DSL took two more weeks and three visits by the technician. Anyway, we ended up with two broadband Internet connections. One of them sat mostly idle since we had a shared network with a printer and NASes on the other router.

Pretty far down on my todo list was to set up a triple-homed Linux router.
When Nelson mentioned the Draytek routers with dual WAN, I started looking around for a router that would share the two uplinks out of the box. The Xincom XC-DPG502, the D-Link DI-LB604, and the Draytek 2910 series made my shortlist. The Draytek routers seemed more expensive and were only sold in the US by dubious web outfits; the other two had fairly extensive reviews at newegg (unfathomably, the Xincom router has since disappeared completely from their website!?)

Today I got the Xincom and I am just done tinkering with it for the last couple of hours. I have given up on it and I will send it back tomorrow: the PPTP passthrough function does not work, I can't connect to my outside VPN.

The details: With passthrough enabled, my MacBook does not manage to connect to the upstream server at all; with passthrough disabled, negotation fails. I upgraded the firmware, no improvement. I tried to add a GRE passthrough manually, to no avail. I searched on the Internet, but the scant information only indicated that others had similar unresolved problems. Too bad that I didn't discover this message board earlier, Xincom's support discontinuation policy seems sketchy as well. Last but not least: the user manual is just a dump of the firmware forms and (un)help(ful) texts.

What's next? I haven't decided yet but I may take a second look at the Draytek routers.

4 comments:

daisy said...

I think this is a more accurate description of the problem statement.

tekgems said...

Thanks for warning. I have Cable and DSL. I was hoping to use something like this for load-balancing. I have modems for both type of connections, so hopefully it'll just do the DHCP for each connection and make it transparent for my computers.

Dennis said...

I'm not sure what daisy mean by this post. But I agree with the OP. I have the box and it is REAL difficult to install and get running.

The fact that there is NO TECH SUPPORT, and not tech contacts within the company make me regret that I made the purchase. I don't understand how companies like this stay in business (If they're still in business).

I'm in the process of getting another multi-WAN router.

Hein said...

Hi Dennis -- I'm curious what you are going to settle on eventually. I currently lean towards getting a small Linux box and setting it up manually. The only issue with that is that it'd need three network interfaces.